Saturday, May 1, 2010

Where have the Russian men gone?

After the Orchestra concert, Lilia and Olga walked Ira and I home.


Ira is a Russian student studying English and German at the Petrozavodsk Pedagogical University and she stays near me. We started talking about men in Petrozavodsk and she lamented about how few men there were in Petrozavodsk. For the course she is studying, there are 30 girls and 3 boys. She decided to check out the club scene in Petrozavodsk early this year to meet new people, but the club was filled with women and there were few men .If there were men,they were either taken or drunk.

Thinking about this issue actually makes me really sad, because many of the Russian girls I have met are amazing, talented and absolutely charming. Yet there are not many decent Russian men to go around. Blame it on the alcohol too.

And of course, my Russian teacher and I had a lively discussion about it in class the next day.