Saturday, May 1, 2010

Farewell Petrozavodsk

The sky was gloomy and it drizzled throughout the day. On my last day here , the sky decided that it was the perfect day to cry.

As i rushed to pack up,do my last minute grocery shopping and plan my next leg of my journey , Yura (host dad) and Tanya (host mom ) helped me with my travel plans for the Ukraine, calling their relatives to help me enquire about bus timings.My host grandmother packed a bag of salad ,eggs,fruits and pirogi (buns ) as a departing gift and 5 year old Sasha made my day by announcing that he wanted to marry me : ) Isn't that sweet ? :)

Sasha and his world enclyclopedia                                  My 50kg baggages = NOT COOL
Tioma and Sasha trying on my jacket.
Can you tell who is the playful adorable boy who loves hip hop dancing?
And who is the shy sweetheart?

Nadia ( Korean Student )held a small party at her house , since her host mom was at the dacha and I had my last gathering with the girls before i left.

Bad news sunk in after i received a phone call from Saint Petersburg in the evening about some complications with the next Russian visa that i was going to be receiving in Saint Petersburg the next day.Panic , worry and sadness didn't mix very well on the last day.But I'm sure everything will be ok.

As Nadia hugged me at the train station , the tears flowed and the memories rushed back.Although I was studying in Russia last year , my experience in PEtrozavodsk this time was completely different from the one in Moscow.

Petrozavodsk is a magnet. Once you get attracted, it is difficult to pull yourself away. A cozy little town up north, everyday was indeed a happy and satisfying day.It's difficult to say goodbye , but i have to , with tears flowing.I met many wonderful people here, had many amazing experiences and I have discovered so much about Russia , the people , the culture and way of life. The more I learn about the different practices, on and off the Russian roads, the keener I am to explore the rest of Russia, the biggest country by land mass in this world.

So for now , farewell to my favourite city in Russia.....Petrozavodsk!
See you on 26th June!