Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Interns from Singapore

I was told that there were 5 other interns from Singapore in Saint Petersburg , out of which 2 of them will be on the same project as me.I was quite stunned when i heard that.Since when were Singaporean students so adventurous as to want to come to Russia to do some volunteer work? And 5!

Then i found out that I was the only Singaporean out of the 6 interns from Singapore.The other 5 were of other nationalities ,studying in Singapore.4 of them are from China and 1 from Indonesia.I am not sure why , but somehow i felt quite strange hearing the Russians refer all 5 of them as Singaporeans when i am the only Singaporean there.But I guess Singapore is a very cosmopolitan country and welcoming towards foreigners.

Anyway, i met up with the 4 students from China .1 of them returned back to Singapore for summer semester last friday and after sending her off at the airport , i invited the other 3 to my place for dinner.

The dinner was not possible without the amazing cooking skills of Xu Su ( the guy ) .He is the only one who knows how to cook rice with a pot on the stove. I on the other hand have ended up with half cooked rice most of the time and continue to dream about having a rice cooker or pressure cooker whenever I am overseas.

Apartment Owner
The apartment owner ,Sergie joined us a little later for dinner and an engaging conversation..in english.Sergie ,a russian holds a degree in political science from a university in Munich and now works for a oil and gas company.As we discussed about things happening in central asia , ukraine ,poland and Russia , it struck me how intelligent this russian man actually is.Fluent in Russian , English and German.He also knows lithuanian,belarusian and ukrainian.

And before Sergie left , he left me a gift of some belarussian money!Isn't that cool? I'm so inspired to head over to Belarus right now and see for myself if his description of Belarus is actually true!