Monday, April 12, 2010

Russian Ballet

I was hooked on Russian ballet after watching my first one in Moscow “Beauty and the Beast” by the Bolshoi group. And I went on to catch, Cinderella and Swan Lake in Moscow and Le Sylphide in Saint Petersburg. Most of the time, they have an orchestra playing the music, graceful dancers, beautiful costumes and props. I never had to worry about language barriers since the story is told through dance and music.


Nutcracker was playing in Petrozavodsk! So I had to catch it. Since I bought the tickets a day before the show , there were only 100rouble tickets left (5sgd) for 3rd level back row seats. A huge price difference since I have been paying more than 900 rubles to watch ballet performances in Moscow.

Just before the show, the usher created "new" seats, shifted all the children to the front and I got to sit on the “ghost” seat on the aisle .Good view. An impressive performance and I actually enjoyed it a lot more than the ballet performances put up by the big shot ballet groups in Moscow and Saint Petersburg. I was so impressed that I went down to the counter during the 15 minute break and bought myself a ticket for the next ballet on the 19th.Romeo and Juliet.

I never knew much about the nutcracker story until after I watched the ballet.l And for those who don’t know about the story, here is the link
http://www.nutcrackerballet.net/html/nutcracker_story.html

Musical Theatre ,Republic of Karelia

The Dance troop and the Orchestra.