Monday, April 12, 2010

Karelian Food

Different ethnic groups have different crusine. And of course, being in the Karelia republic in Russia, I noticed some interesting food that I haven’t seen in the rest of Russia. My favourite is the Karelian pies, Kalitki.
The Kalitka is a flat pastry filled with either potatoes or rice or some grains. I had the Finnish version with rice and cheese when I was in Tampere, Finland.( Half of the Karealian Republic is in Finland ) An interesting combination but I couldn’t find that version being sold anywhere in Petrozavodsk. The most common version in Russian Karelia is the potato Kalitki.

Although there are many small shops, cafes and supermarkets selling Karelian pies (Kalitki), "Карельская горница" is the only place in Petrozavodsk that has the full menu of Karelian food.
 http://gornica.ru/

Some dishes have up to 1 hour waiting time!
I came here alone the first time and met a really friendly administrator, Yulia and we ended up chatting and exchanging email contacts to stay in touch. She was a singer in a band before this and is now going solo after some conflicts with the band. She speaks Finnish and English too!

The 2nd visit was with Nicola and Alena. (British and Finnish students) and the restaurant had live music on that day as well.Great That was my most expensive meal in Petrozavodsk at 470roubles (25sgd).