Monday, April 19, 2010

Romeo and Juliet: The Ballet

Like the Nutcracker, it was a full house performance. The Russians really know how to appreciate the arts! But unlike Nutcracker, this ballet performance is more suitable for adults with its mature Shakespearean theme of love and tragedy. You will definitely need good seats right in front to enjoy this ballet. While, nutcracker had bright and cheery costumes and props and can be enjoyed from a seat far from the stage, they kept the costumes and props minimal and toned down for Romeo and Juliet.

A ballet performance is nothing without the orchestra. And there will be no performance without the dancers. In my opinion, a good ballet performance is one where the orchestra plays with utmost emotions and the dancers dance with passion, showing their feelings not only through the meticulously choreographed steps but also through the expressions on their faces. If not for all the people sitting around me, I would have actually started sobbing. The combination of music and dance was absolutely moving.

Knowing fully well that I won’t be able to get similar entertainment in Singapore for the price I am paying in Russia,( 5-15sgd) I went on to buy myself another ticket for the next ballet, Swan Lake.

Although I have already watched it in Moscow, it won’t hurt to watch another interpretation of the story. Right?