Monday, April 12, 2010

Karelian Folk Music

The Karelian language is heavily influenced by its Finnish past. But to me, it does not sound like Finnish or Russian. It sounded like a language of its own.

At 6pm last Thursday, the Karelian folk music ensemble had a performance in the university library, free of charge! You had no idea how thrilled I was, especially since I only knew about the performance after I saw the performers strolling into the library at 545pm.

One of the songs reminded me of the songs by some of the ethnic groups in China, while another reminded me of songs sung by church choirs. The others were unique and indescribable. It is a pity that I’ve a problem uploading videos.

Anyway, I have actually watched a Karelian performance and eaten some Karelian food. So, I am no longer upset about not getting an excursion to a Karelian village.