Sunday, March 21, 2010

Dog Sledding Programme

One of the things I went about doing in Petrozavodsk, was to find a tour agency that could offer me a dog sledding program. Since I have yet to learn enough Russian to communicate effectively over the phone, I had to physically go to the agency to enquire.A painful process, since i got lost trying to find the agencies.But i managed to get there eventually.

So I was scheduled to do this 3-4 hour tour today ,Saturday and I was going to be the only person on the tour UNTIL…..

I met Julia this morning. Julia is the editor of the 103 Meridian East Magazine.http://meridian103.com//
(The first Singapore Russian magazine launched in Singapore)

She is in Petrozavodsk for a short visit before heading to Saint Petersburg for a course. I told her about the dog sledding program that I was taking the afternoon and she made an impromptu decision to join me!

1 Day Dog Sledding Program

  •  Pick up from your accommodation
  • 30 minute drive to the village Martrosi ( where the dog sledding center is )
  •  Learning about the dogs and harnessing them.
  • 1 hour dog sledding session and a picnic
  •  30 minutes drive back to Petrozavodsk
Martrosi is a village known for one thing, they have a mental institution there. So when I told other Russians that I was going to Martrosi , they thought I was nuts. But a sad and romantic story gave the village its name.In short , Martin , a Finnish man fell in love with a woman called Rosi .He was mauled badly by bears here. And Rosi spent years trying to nurse him. The village was eventually called Mart + Rosi = Martrosi.

The dogs , Taimyp Sledge dogs and Chukotskaya Sledge dogs are reared for races and it is their nature to be extremely friendly. This centre in Martrosi is one of the 3 places in the Russia that rears them.. Some of them have 1 bright blue eye and 1 brown eye. It was a pretty strange combination but really intriguing.
It was such an amazing experience.