Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Russian Hospitals

I got to take my first trip to a Russian hospital last weekend .This is the best hospital in Karelia. Julia was heading there to visit her sister, Vesta, who had just undergone surgery and she invited me along.


Medical treatments are free of charge for Russians in hospitals .There are of course certain treatments which patients can opt for which requires them to pay some money in return for some comfort but most people go for the free option. Free means = hospitals don’t receive much money = doctors don’t get paid much and they do not have the best medical equipment in the world.

My host is a surgeon and I spoke to her about her life as a surgeon in Petrozavodsk the next day. It is a really tough life for a person with such a respectable occupation.

Patients do not have televisions in the rooms, the bedside tables are falling apart and they only have a common toilet per floor which everyone shares .I don’t know what patients can do in their room to pass time except to sew , knit ,read books or watch some downloaded movie on their laptops.

And after looking at Vesta’s bandages , I will rather pay to fly back to Singapore to get treated .There is a price to pay for healthcare and I will rather pay the price for it than get any free treatments in Russia if I am ever entitled to any.